WARNING: The content of this blog is based entirely on Seasons 1-5 of ABC’s LOST. If you have not watched all 103 episodes and don’t want your fun spoiled,then please do not read this blog until you’ve caught up!
The 2nd of three really great LOST episodes in Season 1 – this one is primarily about Hurley.
- In Flashbacks we see Hurley wins the lottery with the numbers (4 8 15 16 23 42).
- The girl calling the lottery numbers is the same one Sawyer was in a hotel room with before Hibbs interrupted and told him the fake news of the original Sawyer being in Australia.
- Although fabulously wealthy a string of bad luck begins following Hurley. At first he thinks the money is cursed, and then decides the numbers are cursed
- We find out that Hurley’s accountant has purchased a box company in Tustin for Hurley. This is probably the same box factory where Locke worked.
We find out that Hurley was in a psychiatric hospital for awhile when he returns to talk to the guy he got the numbers from. A “crazy” guy who plays Connect 4 a lot. He freaks out saying that Hurley never should have used thenumbes to play the lottery and that he opened the box. While being dragged out of the room he tells Hurley that he got the numbers from a Sam Toomey in Australia. This is why Hurley is in Sydney and ends up on the Oceanic flight.
- Toomey’s widow tells Hurley that her husband heard the numbers being broadcast from the Pacific and that he used them to win a contest and similar misfortune befell him. But in the end she disparages the idea that it’s bad luck as “you make your own luck.”
- On the island Hurley freaks out when he sees the numbers written over and over again in Rousseau notes. He takes off on his own to find Rousseau. This works out well as Jack wants to go to her to get a battery to power a transmitter for the raft. Sayid is reluctant to bother Rousseau, but Jack, Sayid and Charlie go after Hurley.
- In the end it is Hurley who encounters Rousseau, when she holds him at gun point he yells at her that now he wants some answers. Unforunately all she can tell him is that the numbers were being broadcast form the island before she got here. They are what brought her and her team to the island and they never discovered their origin or meaning.
- But in the end Rousseau agrees with Hurley that the numbers are in fact cursed which leads to a great scene with Hurley giving a huge bear hug in the middle of the jungle because he finally found someone who agrees with him.
- In the end Hurley get’s the battery from Rousseau and tells Sayid, “She says hey”
- In John Lock news he spends the episode making something with Claire after she reluctantly agrees to help him. This is an interesting interaction considering her nightmare featuring Locke towards the beginning of the season (remember the creepy black and white eyes thing). In the end it ends up being a cradle for the baby – a birthday present from John Locke to Claire. Did he know it was her birthday? Another example of Locke going out of his way to help another Lostie currying good favor and gratitude. Is he just a generally good guy or is he up to something?
Sorry – that was mostly recap – but I am desperately trying to catch up with the re-Watch!